Effective Date: May 13, 2019
To use the Services, you must be at least 18 years old and located in the United States of America.
A special note for Gmail users: For users of the Services who provide Earny with access to their Gmail account, Earny is subject to and complies with the “Limited Use” requirements set forth in the Additional Requirements for the Gmail Restricted Scope API as of the Effective Date.
What Information Do We Collect and How?
Personal Information. We may collect and store any information you directly provide us, as well as information that you enable us to access or collect, whether via the Services, the device through which our Services are accessed, 3rd Party Login Services and 3rd Party Accounts, or direct communication (for example, in the process of registration to the Services, filling forms or submitting enquiries), including information which relates to and identifies you (collectively, “Personal Information”). For example, we may collect your name, date of birth, services purchased, activities, location information, and payment methods. Through your use of the Services, we may also collect the contents of your emails. For example:
- By using the Services, you provide us with access to your email account(s) and the content of your emails. We analyze email content to identify information about items, products and services you purchased (such as your purchase receipts), to identify potential refunds you may be eligible for, and to recommend contacts you may want to invite to the Services and to facilitate hotel reservation offerings.
- We collect your payment card and billing information to obtain your refunds and communicate with your payment card provider, and for billing purposes.
- When connecting to our Services through 3rd Party Login Services, you may grant us permission to access your profile information, which may include your contact information, name, and date of birth. For example, when you log in through or provide us access to your Google or Microsoft email account, we request permission to access your Google or Microsoft profile information (in addition to your email account).
- If you are accessing our Services through a mobile device or tablet, we collect your device’s identifier (e.g., the Apple Identifier for Advertisers (IDFA) and the Google Advertising ID).
- We may collect certain information automatically when you use the Services. This information may include your Internet protocol (IP) address, user settings, details about your browser, operating system or device, location information (including inferred location based off your IP address), Internet service provider, pages that you visit while using the Services, and other information about how you use the Services.
Information Concerning Children. Our Services are not designed for children under 13. If we discover that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we will delete such information from our systems.
How Is Collected Information Used?
We use your information for the following purposes:
- To identify your purchases to make refund claims on your behalf by analyzing your email messages.
- If you have provided us with access to your Amazon account, we may use the information contained therein for research and analytics purposes, such as to identify purchasing trends.
- To interface, on your behalf, with your credit card provider and the benefits and claims administrators and service providers of such credit card provider (including any service providers that process the claims or facilitate the processing of the claims on behalf of such companies) to take advantage of any buyer protection program your card provider may offer for purchases you made.
- To allow you to send invitations to join the Services to your email contacts.
- To provide our Services to you, to communicate with you about your use of our Services, to respond to your inquiries, to obtain Refunds, conduct payment transactions, and for other customer service purposes.
- To send you news and newsletters, special offers, and promotions (including sending you hotel reservation offers), specific to Earny's products.
- To better understand how users access and use our Services, on a de-identified, aggregated and/or individualized basis, in order to improve our Services and respond to user desires and preferences, and for other research and analytical purposes.
How Is Collected Information Shared?
We may share your information, including Personal Information, as follows:
- Earny Users. If you sign up after being referred by another Earny user, we will notify them and allow them to claim any applicable referral bonus.
- Merchants, Payment Card Providers and their Service Providers. We will share your information with merchants, payment card providers, and the benefits and claims administrators and service providers of such payment card providers (including any service providers that process the claims or facilitate the processing of the claims on behalf of such companies) in order to request refunds or submit claims under any cardholder protection programs you are enrolled in.
- Service Providers. We may disclose the information we collect from you and information that we collect about you (including the contents of your email messages) with third party vendors, service providers, contractors or agents who perform functions on our behalf. Earny has executed appropriate contracts with its service providers that prohibit them from using or sharing your information except as necessary to perform the contracted services on our behalf.
- Business Transfers. If we are acquired by or merged with another company, if a portion of or substantially all of our assets are transferred to another company, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, we may transfer the information we have collected from you to the other company.
- In Response to Legal Process.We may disclose the information we collect from you in order to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena.
Should you close your account with us, we may retain the information we have collected about you, including Personal Information, for internal purposes, including record keeping and business purposes, data reconstruction and backup, and compliance with applicable law.
International Transfers of Information
Earny controls and operates the Service from its headquarters in the United States of America and may transfer, store and process your information in any location worldwide, including the United States. Eligibility to use the Services is restricted to residents of the United States of America.
Cookies and Tracking
Clear GIFs, pixel tags and other technologies. Clear GIFs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your device’s hard drive, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on web pages. We may use clear GIFs (a.k.a. web beacons, web bugs or pixel tags), in connection with our Site to, among other things, track the activities of Site visitors, help us manage content, and compile statistics about Site usage. We and our third party service providers also use clear GIFs in HTML e-mails to our customers, to help us track e-mail response rates, identify when our e-mails are viewed, and track whether our e-mails are forwarded.
Do-Not-Track. Currently, our systems do not recognize browser “do-not-track” requests. You may, however, disable certain tracking as discussed in this section (e.g., by disabling cookies).
Interest Based and Personalized Advertising
If you would like to opt-out of the cookies and other tracking technologies we employ on the Services, you may do so by blocking, disabling, or deleting them as your browser or device permits. Please note that cookie-based opt-outs are not effective on mobile applications. However, you may opt-out of personalized advertisements on some mobile applications by following the instructions for Android and iOS.
The online advertising industry also provides websites from which you may opt-out of receiving targeted ads from advertisers that participate in self-regulatory programs. You can access these, and also learn more about targeted advertising and consumer choice and privacy, at www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp and www.aboutads.info/choices/. Please note you must separately opt out in each browser and on each device. Opting out from tracking by one or more advertising partner through the tools identified above will opt you out from those companies’ delivery of interest-based content or ads to you, but it does not mean you will no longer receive any generic, non-personalized advertising through our Services or on other websites.
Our Services may contain links to third-party websites and applications. Any access to and use of such linked websites/applications is not governed by this Policy, but instead is governed by the privacy policies of those third party websites/applications. We are not responsible for the information practices of such third party websites/applications.
Security of My Personal Information
We have implemented safeguards to protect the information we collect from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware that despite our best efforts, no data security measures can guarantee 100% security. You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer by, among other things, signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, and keeping your log-in and password private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, we do not accept liability for unintentional disclosure of information we collect.
Your California privacy rights
California residents may request a list of certain third parties to which we have disclosed Personal Information about you for their own direct marketing purposes. You may make one request per calendar year. In your request, please attest to the fact that you are a California resident and provide a current California address for your response. You may request this information in writing by contacting us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow up to thirty (30) days for a response.